All men are forced to act helplessly
according to the impulses
born of the modes of material nature;
therefore no one can refrain
from doing something,
not even for a moment.
Bhagavad Gita, 3-5
- More than 15 years in IT in all positions (from developer to CIO), mostly in France with some projects in Taiwan, Australia, US, England and Germany.
- IT is a passion of mine: programming languages, patterns, architecture and abstract thinking about ways to avoid errors, if can be. Must be a geek.
- Psychology is also a great asset to try to figure out what's going on in an IT project or in the unconscious mind of a corporate.
- I learnt Lisp quite recently. Still fighting with macros (with On Lisp famous book).
- I know quite well the usual issues of the high end distributed transactional systems and the middleware issues attached to them.
- http://twitter.com/It_philosophy (provocative aphorisms)
- I am sometimes a WikiGnome and I like to order things in a CategoryCategory. Cf. WikiMaintenance. Yeah, well depends if I get caught or not by the awful SharkBot.
- MyMyersBriggsTypeIs ENTP.
- Do you HaveThisPattern?
- I used to use the identification cookie but this cookie was used by other people (for fun?). From now on, I will use the standard Internet path:
- At home: atoulon-552-1-43-70.w92-133.abo.wanadoo.fr
Recent and search
Pages created or significantly modified
Pages to create?
(search before to ensure they don't already exist)
- ArchitectureAntiPattern: ArchitectureNothing? | ArchitectureMadeBySales? | NoNeedForAdministrationFunctions? | NotTheAppropriateTechnology? | UseDesignPatternsForArchitecture? | SoftwareAsOrganizationalChart?: there was a theory behind but I didn't find back the references. Someone to help?
- DevelopmentAntiPattern: MadDevelopers?
- ManagementAntiPattern: TechnicalIssuesDontExist? | PleaseYourManager? | TheCustomerIsSoMean? | DayToDayProjectManagement? (or PlayItByEarProject? or FlightViewProject?) | ControllingWithoutControl? | ManagerBlamesHisStaff? | ProcessRigoristBoss? | IvoryTowerManagement?
- DefinitionPage?: ItLegend? as a category ?
- ManagementPattern: ExplainSoftwareToTheCustomer? | GetAnArchitectOnBoard? | SeveralVisionsOfTheSameSoftware?
- OrganizationAntiPattern?: SecretCracy? and MysteroCracy?: definition done on the CryptoCracy page but the concept are very interesting developing | IgnoredHierarchy? which is quite common too or the DoWhatYouWant? syndrome
- ContractualAntiPattern?: PrisonForCustomer? linked to JobKeeper (need to extend this page) | BlockTheProjectForContractualDetails?
Comments and ideas
s are related to corporate culture. The fact that their use is often considered as the right thing to do
whereas it obviously fails is an indication of the management type of the company. Very often, the AntiPattern
use is unconscious, as is the fact that it doesn't work. Some people have the feeling that this is how the work should be performed => Psychological aspect of AntiPattern
to work on?
2. There is a crucial need for an IT training directed to CEOs. The objective would be for them to have correct MentalPattern
s to be able to judge the basics of some IT issues:
- Will I develop internally or buy an off-the-shelf solution?
- What are the main IT functions? How does it work?
- What is architecture?
I will work on that in the next future to see what can be done with that. IT is too young an industry to be clearly understandable by CEOs.
3. Connect the ItLegend?
concept to the SelfSealingBelief
s? Hmmm. Need to think about it.
4. Some pages are categorized with both CategoryAntiPattern
and some not. It is not so clear for the fresh reader what is the logic.
There very often is not an overall logic because different people contributed different thoughts, perhaps at different times and unaware of what else is here. It is a valuable contribution to come in and pull it together and make sense of it as you see it. Thank you for your efforts.
>> Thanks for that John! I'll do what I can.
5. Follow CodeSmell
comments about CategoryCodeSmell
6. Think about "itineraries" in c2.com for instance to introduce people to DesignPattern
s or AntiPattern
7. Added a big section for TPM. Interesting to anyone?