Aka: Please help us sustain a community by providing all our content for us!
A term, apparently coined by TimOreilly?
, denoting the new "editable" web that came with the popularity of blogs, wikis, and WikiPedia
. In other words, the latest craze among wide-eyed WorldWideWeb
enthusiasts, and a BuzzwordBingo
candidate that has something to do with AjaxWebApplications
, "collaborative taxonomy" and things like that.
The most striking accusation against the new paradigm is that it encourages TheCultOfTheAmateur
In the commercial software world, it is suggested to avoid X.0 versions, and wait for X.1. Let somebody else take the arrows in the back (AmericanCulturalAssumption
regarding pioneers and risk).
In the OpenSource
software world, it's the X.2, X.4, X.6, X.8 (the even, but maybe not X.0) versions that are most suitable for the public.
From the WebPagesThatSuck
site in 2006:
- So you wanna be a rock 'n' roll star? You gotta look like a Web 2.0 web site.
- The hot web design style right now is the Web 2.0 aesthetic. What is this aesthetic? Just look at any Web 2.0 site on this list [http://www.sacredcowdung.com/archives/2006/03/all_things_web.html] and you'll see lots of white space, big type, bright colors, and rounded logos. Here's a good explanation of all the required elements of a Web 2.0 web site [http://mittermayr.wordpress.com/2006/02/03/20-culture/].
- To come up with a name, go to, what else, the web 2.0 name generator [http://www.joeyschoblaska.com/web20/index.php] (BrokenLink 2007-09-30). You can create an interesting and quasi-Web 2.0 site at Web20generator [http://www.web20generator.com/] that uses CSS and XHTML (requirements for a Web 2.0 site).
- But what's really important is the logo. FontShop has an explanation of what goes into having a Web 2.0 logo [http://www.fontshop.com/fontfeed/archives/web-20-logos.cfm] (with plenty of examples).
- Hey, now your site can look like all the hip sites?
I found the web 2.0 name generator hilarious. -- ElizabethWiethoff
Don't forget also the Web 2.0 Validator: http://web2.0validator.com/
for abusing DNS?) Check if your website is sufficiently WebTwoPointOh
by seeing if it has been tagged with certain keywords on DelIcioUs
Try bullsh*tr, the Web 2.0 Bullsh*t Generator and its recommended links: http://emptybottle.org/bullshit/
Sick of Web 2.0? Spooked by it? Enjoy http://www.uncov.com/
- uncovering web2.
Internet is like, bogus, man.
See also WebThreePointZero