is a project of DavidLiu
's intended to list and discuss topics with high update activities in recent weeks. It also aim to foster ProductiveControversy
See also ChangeSummary
, a historical relative of this page.
See also ImplicitTopics
, which has similar objectives via different means. I tend to think the two ways complement each other.
I created this page because I felt left out of the discussions in physics and science, and also academic issues in computing. (Early March 2004?)
The difficulty may not be mine alone. I do not mind general current topics, but deep discussions with no immediate industry relevance, and if these occur frequently, causes a sense of loss in me.
Patterns have relevance to industry as they lead to process improvement. What does basic science do to help me put food on my table tomorrow?
Not trying to pick on physics; I would have the same trouble with deep discussions on economic theory as well. Maybe the same people who are interested in very theoretical or hard to follow topics can create pages that introduce the general WikiReader
to the subject of their interest as well.
Sometimes I like OffTopic
pages just so I can get a relief from deep discussion pages.
Note while topics listed were current (lots of people and lots of changes in pages of significance) for the month, there has been no attempt to have an objective measurement. In the ten months after its creation I did not seem to see other people adding to this list. So it reflects the biases of one person.
November 2005 (NovemberZeroFive)
October 2005 (OctoberZeroFive)
September 2005 (SeptemberZeroFive)
August 2005 (AugustZeroFive)
July 2005 (JulyZeroFive)
June 2005 (JuneZeroFive)
May 2005 (MayZeroFive)
- WhatIsWrongWithTheGeneralVisualBasicApproach created Aug04, around 90 revisions and had participation from quite a few people
- SelfTalk generated 90 revisions in 1 day, from over 5 persons. Must be hot, not sure about light.
- WardCunningham started CrazyThingsThatMightSaveWiki, to gather views on Wiki improvements, in light of recent EditWar between WikiZens that involved automated scripts.
- Are you sure? That doesn't look like Ward's style at all to me.
- I hadn't thought he started it, but early on he did add an encouraging unsigned comment, at least, something like "not crazy enough, keep brainstorming" or some such - long gone now. -- dm
- I saw person using WardCunningham name did many posts in the first many revisions. I assumed it is genuine. If not, then it is motivation for Ward to have a scheme to reduce abuse -- dl
- Is This Page OK type discussions occupied lots of frequent contributor time.
- DefinitionOfLife and related pages, search on life
- Very happy to see TimRhodes updated the list of RegularContributors. Although we have an EgolessWiki, it must be balanced with the fact that there can be hints at who to approach for further information on some existing excellent pages. Tim's good deed will help silence WikiIsDead type of comments, see later in this page. -- dl
My vote for best pages of the year
22.214.171.124 made a remark that RecentChangesDiscussion is not very recent 2002 last edited, that's nearly two years of short term focus silence
Well I must say that I feel the same about ThingsOnWikisMind
. I made a note in that page requesting for update from frequent visitors to Wiki. I did not get any response. -- dl
I would further suggest people think about a minor adjustment to WikiWay
, that of adding a page creation and/or originated by in some of the pages. That way future readers can try to gauge who might still have interest (e.g. to restart the discussion or page enhancement), and also get an idea on how relevant is the information. This method is of course full of holes, but it provides another way to help keep interesting pages and discard old ones.
Contributions from other people, I am not involved in discussions below
Perhaps a recent (2004Q1) discussion in WikiIsDead
about it being reached optimal already, in terms of effort-to-result ratio should be one of the few WikiCurrentTopics
The large number of pages added to Wiki, but never surfaced even after many years of inactivity, keep me wondering whether Wiki should be modified to detect old but inactive (w.r.t. edit) pages so WikiSpringCleaning
should be concentrated on those pages instead.
A fifty year old encyclopedia may have lots of valuable information in it still, but lack of maintenance send these to the recycle bin. So what wiki page should the above discussion be moved to, if not this one?
Commercial corner of the page maintainer
Please visit InstantChanges, WikiCities. Also we need people to build a PositiveDialogueCommunity.