Categories are the basis for Wiki Readers to find information on this wiki arranged in a topical manner.
Anyone can help in this process by putting links to a category on a page. Pages in that category can then be found by a search which begins with the clicking on the title of the category page. The category is a ReverseIndex
. For forward indices, see RoadMap
To see all categories, go to CategoryCategory
. For more information, check out FaqForCategories
. Or add to the CategoriesDiscussion
Note that a category is sometimes a forward index, and a RoadMap
is also a ReverseIndex
(though often incomplete). The difference between the two is mostly one of convention - categories have a conventional placement near the page bottom. RoadMaps
are typically not named on the pages they reference. Category pages may have no hand-edited list, while RoadMaps
always do. -- DeanElvy
What should be the content of a category page?
- something like "(See WikiCategories)" at the top
- a short description which pages should be linked to this category
- a reference to CategoryCategory at the bottom
- references to any direct super-categories (parent categories, not other ancestor categories) at the bottom
- a short statement why this category is needed
- a short discussion whether this category really should exist
- a short discussion on the contents of the category page
It should not
- any content which could as well be placed on a different page which is linked to this category
Many category pages contain a sentence like "click on the title for a list of pages in this category". While this instruction should in theory be OnceAndOnlyOnce
, in practice its presence on each category page makes the introduction of the BackLink
mechanism a little easier for those new to Wiki.
Put a RoadMap
on its own page. Someone might want to link to it without including the referring page into the category.
Opinions existing on this wiki about Categorization
I created HelpUsingCategories
to make it easier for newbies to know how to work with categories. It may be a competitor to this tag.
CategoryWikiNavigation CategoryOrganization CategoryWikiHelp CategoryWikiMaintenance