This page is a manually-entered summary of recent changes. For more information, see ChangeSummaryGuidelines and ChangeSummaryDiscussion
The following list is not complete
- it contains summaries of selected pages. Anyone who thinks a page should be included is welcome to add more summaries. In the future, this process might become more automated (and thus become a better replacement for RecentChanges). See ChangeSummaryDiscussion for details.
- ChangeSummary was discontinued due to lack of volunteer time and concerns about its effect on wiki quality.
- See ChangeSummaryDiscussion for details.
- This page can was kept to be an example of the ChangeSummary idea
- it may inspire someone else to craft a better solution
October 26, 1999
- Questions about whether events are future or past...
- New 1.5 on 1-5 scale, embedded systems aren't too bad, CoryHamasaki, Debunking y2k links...
- New time and meeting place
- Pico, MacOS, VT100, vi modes, emacs, and EDT updates...
- More about people who might sabotage [nice reply]
- Origin of phrase and related stories...
- People asked to link to contributions, reasons...
October 25, 1999
- Pairs make CS more enjoyable, experience in CS classes...
- Wants to extend definition of author to WebAuthor
- URL, warning about site...
- Quote related to projects, 42...
- Example of non-appropriate backlinks | Remove inappropriate material, reply...
- People whose parents were programmers, list of Wiki second-gen...
- Monty Python... | More on Clockwork Orange...
- Local group discussing object technology, URL...
- Experience with Solaris 2.6, changes to Xitami server.
October 24, 1999
- Inventor of WWW, book (ISBN) should be worth reading...
- Signatures decreasing, increase of flippant short retorts, sign when willing to stick by posting...
- Requested features available on a test wiki (URL), source available...
- Could use a feature for consolidation.
- Is there local equivalent for Windows?...
- Consider From Where as kind of bidirectional link...
- GPL'ed Palm Wiki code (URL)...
- RemembranceAgent? useful for text files (URL)...
- Comments on article, new URL, CritDotOrg view | Reluctance to edit old pages...
- Description, available for free via web, temporary URL...
- Spinal Tap quote | Do Gosling and Gabriel really do XP?...
- More tips for spotting difficult bosses | Ask The Headhunter URL...
October 23, 1999
- Secret weapon knobs, with URL for quote and explanation...
- Statistics on world visitors of the mirror files...
- Multiple edits on whether
- From Where is appropriate and where Comments on wiki laissez-faire and consensus...
- More about pattern form usage for this idea...
- Ecommerce, AmazonAssociate, integration into Wiki forum, list of author actions...
- Wiki not for historical recording, but for exchange...
- Possible acronym for "Create, Replace, Alter, Purge". [Yeah, likely story. * -]
- | Johnny Carson interview story...
- Conjectures that wiki maps structures inside brains like MindMaps?...
- Usage and placement of From Where marker with list of reasons...
- List of points where PythonLanguage needs improvement for beginners...
- New wiki (URL) for Jini technology and community...
October 22, 1999
- Experiences with about 20 employers * list of guidelines...
* Three people central to XP...
* Problems with integrated Source Code Control Systems, reply...
* Concepts and terminology relevant to test driver of CppUtxOverview, source examples in C++, long discussion of design...
- Reasons for signing name...
- More reasons for using signatures...
- Use From Where as manual substitute...
- Windowed interfaces, event loops, interface can be represented by Finite State Machine, application as many FSAs, grammar...
- Could you give example of page that does not benefit from backlinking list?
- Extension to full spectrum of life activities, including income producing...
- Ways in which wiki is similar to working of farriers...
- Pattern form for and examples of wiki ideas? Is this really pattern?, reply...
- Word macro to generate bingo cards (source included). [Visual Basic (for apps) knowledge isn't useless after all! * -]
- Descriptions, heroic, made billion dollars twice...
- Description, use of buzzwords, contribution of Nixon administration...
- Better slow learner than non-learner... [Excellent page!]
- Description in component system, URL for pattern...
- Recommendations for companies and products, several replies...
- Exactly what was needed, 80% XP, picking parts of Xp...
- Invention of Linda Group (URL), commercial implementation available (URL)
- List of GUI builders (URLs), COM and Java ideas...
- Description, de facto standard for distributed computing, URL...
October 21, 1999
- Power of wiki comes from choice of few simple features, list of ideas tried and abandoned...
- Hello world in VB and Delphi, Delphi not as popular, reasonable choice vs. preferences...
- Multiple large edits and refactorings.
- List of signature features, credibility of authors...
- Large history of OpenStep, features, mailing list...
- More examples, and ideas for larger demos.
- Duplication may be a problem...
- Margin-style of commenting and effects on coding...
- History of framework, usages, philosophy, WebObjects, mailing lists...
- More comments about "constructive"...
- Seems like list of objections...
October 20, 1999
- Problems with statistics, can't teach tolerance with statistics...
- EJB pattern for using interface containing only business methods...
- Browser from mozilla project (URL) for testing...
- Too much overhead, nobody seems to like it...
- In Forth, all printables can be used in name, could shorten WikiName...
- [NEW] Avoid terse/formal comments, try for short complete conversational sentences...
- Multiple messages about "personal" messaging (notes on "personal" pages)...
- [NEW] How is it good? | One integrated bundle, easy to install and use | Try Delphi as an example of a better language...
- [NEW] Reasons for using signatures... | Author credibility...
- Multiple notes on "personal messaging"
- Notes about EvolvingSystems?, no response from WikiNature...
- Leave old intact, create new version to migrate to...
- Special care to refactoring signed works, suggestions for appropriate times and ways to refactor...
- [NEW] Type email in, but don't send it | More about dealing with angry email (wait 24 hours, practice on other person)...
- Building framing is quick, interior slow--difference in construction plans?
- [NEW] Be polite to people who do not argue well...
- Alternatives uncomfortable, VB fine choice for simple business programming, VB is a reality, give people ways to improve rather than LanguagePissingMatch...
- Titles for maximum interest (some rather silly)...
- Java equivalent with inner classes, source example...
October 19, 1999
- updated list of touched pages
- fix URL for distributed fallacies..
- More Amazon.com order experiences...
- New refactored version...
- Old version for comparison...
- Suggest date in <New> tags...
- [NEW] Invention of Linda Group (URL), JavaSpaces...
IndependentlyHostedHtmlCopyOfaWikiPage? (later refactored to WikiPageAsHtml?)
- Please leave public messages here...
- List of public mail pages...
- Experimental public mailbox...
- British Computer Society meeting 18-Oct-99, meet again in few weeks, contact...
October 18, 1999
- WebKB (URL) for similar knowledge-based engine...
- Personal updates, Smalltalk...
- [NEW] Public wiki dedicated to VisualFoxPro, related software engineering, URL...
- turned URLs into links, added "Other Wiki Home Pages" section
- [MID] If position is like customer, is XP for products same as other XP?...
- More on payroll applicability (with reply), slow weather prediction OK...
- "By SergioZyman?", ISBN...
* Marketing types hold MS in high regard, like other brand names, book ref...
- Beginners starting with GUIs, experiences typical?...
* [NEW] Temp housekeeping markers... [deleted April 6, 2004]
- [NEW] List of recent refactorings
- [Moved from somewhere...]
- Substitute for disabled backlink option...
- [Moved from ExtractToPage?]
- Userland Frontier (URL) does similar "rendering" of the site...
- Add URL Java Reference Objects
- [NEW?] Influence on software development, URLs for personal site, biography, book ordering...
- Call for meeting of people interested in *Unit...
- Personal update, email...
- Changed resulting context...
- Suggestion for Summary textbox on edit page. [See http * //www.usemod.com/cgi-bin/AtTwo? for an experimental Wiki...]
- Quote from Linus Torvalds...
- Lone Ranger reference, werewolves, etc...
- Made incremental upgrade, fixes memory leaks, namespaces, structures...
- Add "(Mau Mau Starter Ching Ching Dada.)"
* No longer pre-order item...
Architecture for HTML-based apps (including Wikis), Java servlet, javadoc output...
- [NEW] New test Wiki based on WebTrans?...
October 17, 1999
- [TOP] Given that EmbraceChange has been published, the discussion is moot.
- URL for presentation on a Smalltalk server...
- Increasing computer time, common sense of small teams...
- More information about project, domain names, example using Excel and Win32Forth...
- [NEW] "Please Delete this blank page"
- [NEW] Zen, AI, experimental? measurement, HumbleEvolvingSystem?...
- [NEW] "Describe ImagineProject? here."
- Split into several pages...
- [NEW] Wiki links of examples...
- Moved text from EvolvingSystems?
- One of founders of Symas Corporation (URL), more about company...
- Also term in bowling (handicaps), used in development to preserve budget
- More information from the author of J-Integra, URLs for examples...
- Report from first milestone, ExcelUnit?, coverage, XP comments, quote...
- [NEW] Skeptic wants examples of specialized XP...
- Position paper on topic, summarized, skeptical...
- Changed email, more links...
- New link and title for rebuttal paper...
- Wants way to apply Alexander's book to today's communities...
- Please explain what a Wiki web is... [Ironically, the link WikiErase appears to have been deleted by the (inadvertent?) use of EditCopy]
- [NEW] Easier to see if linked to a new page...
- [NEW] Lots of URLs (10), personal...
October 16, 1999
- Not using MBA for authority...
- Description of how Macromedia FreeHand is developed
- Document is object, client has much more...
- URL for PrincipaCybernetica? global brain page.
- List of ideas, benefits...
- [END] Experience with incremental building of a compiler through refactoring...
- Add information about JIntegra...
- Avoid project lore problems through using a TestCase...
- Add abstract from referenced URL...
- Add description from URL (paged-out smart pointer class)...
- Notified by Amazon UK of release at end of November * UK only?...
October 15, 1999
- Criticism of Meme usage, what's the difference?, comments on "love your enemy"...
- May be sign of inappropriate inheritance (rather than composition)...
- [END] We had to call it Extreme Programming...
- Clarification of "customer" in XP, conflicts are trouble...
- Made example into self-reference
- Can't pass parameters to COM constructors.
- "This whole piece is just delicious to read."... | Cycle involving Wiki, UseCases, choreography, QA, and much more...
- [NEW] Tool (in Smalltalk) for building object model of website, generate HTML from model, frustrating to use character-based environment...
- ISBN fixed and price added
- [NEW] Desired features, offline wiki ideas...
* Add "October 15, 1999"
- [NEW?] "product projects" and XP applicability...
- Add URL for User Interface Hall of Shame
- [NEW] Personal, Smalltalk experience...
- Quote from IllyaPrigogene? on self-organizing systems...
- May be GrainOfTruth, Jungian view, weaknesses, acceptance traditions...
- Moved Java/Com discussion, more about speculative development of toolkit...
- Pattern form for way of supporting argument [AntiPattern?]
- Add links EvolvingSystems?, ScienceAndZenIt?
- [NEW] "The effective combination of black box (external) and white box (internal or unit) testing.", XP ensures right grayness...
- More playing with links...
- [Large diffs, unknown extent]
- [MID] Making interpreter/compiler available in program (example)...
- Reorganized, story of bad usage of idiom...
- Diagram showing faking both link and external interface...
- [NEW] Setext (URL) is interesting...
- Interesting language outside the mainstream, comments on standardization...
- [NEW] "Aussie founder of http * //www.mortbay.com "
- Three packages related to COM/ActiveX, with URLs...
- Three more names interested...
- [NEW?] Use in development of programming languages, see the challenges...
- [NEW] Solution for specific problem (like C3)...
- [NEW] For languages, products, and solutions...
- [NEW] Project experience of planning using UserStories, conflict of implementation vs. completion of stories...
- Added reference to the JWAM-framework
October 14, 1999
- New name suggested- "eXcellence Programming"
- Strategy vs luck, marketing definitions...
- Multiple types of GUI builders for Python | Why should beginners focus on GUI?
- [NEW] suggestions for formatting, cost of plain vanilla text...
- Advantage and disadvantages, problems in thread class, inheritance hierarchies, DelphiLanguage features...
- "Two important problems in the application of design by contract"...
- Tab shortcuts don't work, why not default "I can't type tabs"?...
- [NEW?] description, URL for report from early fest...
- More suggestions for Wysiwyg Wiki...
- More external links [multiple edits]...
- Replication scheme details, not claimed to be OO, not relational DB...
* Right moves at right time is marketing...
- Content is reason for Wiki, active community tough to build, intranet Wiki advantages/problems...
- "Mr West" -> "Winston Wolf"
- Allows reclassification of objects, Squeak, interaction necessary, increasing complexity...
- [NEW?] Reminds of smalltalk and lisp...
- Another fan comments | guilt for not summarizing...
- [NEW] Content pertaining to wikis, Zope, and others, based on modified AtisWiki...
- "Those languages in which simple concepts cannot be expressed with austerity and readability", other definitions, test * can a child learn it?... | dictionary definitions...
- Bring back WordStar key-diamond!... | Emacs has modes...
- [Thanks for the changes. * -]
* URL for paper discussing bootstrapping issues...
- Deleted recent minor edits...
- "a MetaObjectProtocol is a fundamentally important attribute of a CausallyReflectiveSystem?", types of reflective systems...
- [NEW] Management scared, waste of time in workarounds...
- Some kind of escape character useful...
- [NEW] "Office Workstations Ltd." department description...
- [NEW] Team using XP/Java...
* Add XpEdinburgh
- Benefits of frequent delivery, communication...
- Extensibility of Linux comes at cost of learning, other systems fairly intuitive, Mac comments...
- If Microsoft is making bad tools, then we need to become familiar with good, easy alternatives.
- Who has experience in working with Newbies and something other than VB?
November 4, 1999
- Definitions pasted in from RealTimeFAQ
- A derivative version with some enhancements is mentioned.