Developing Ideas Using Community Dialogue
The following is a suggested approach to the development, presentation and formulation of ideas and knowledge by those who consider themselves members of a community with collaborative intent. It is hoped that in the process, members will employ good judgment, cooperation, courtesy and honesty in discussions while in the process of presenting information formed to create a practical, constructive, and thoughtful dialogue. They should consider ideas, whether fully or partially developed, as important. They must believe that exchange of ideas is worthwhile, and that particularly promising ideas should be developed and employed as fully as possible.
Development of Ideas practicing Community Dialogue
The following applies a developing idea which has been partly developed and made available to a community, and which is expressed and with the expectation of a free, open and honest discussion regarding its value by a discussion of its strengths and weaknesses.
An Idea Process in CommmunityDialogue?
- An idea is expressed via a WikiPage. It may be found to be of interest to current or subsequent persons encountering it. When it receives a reply or comment, a point is reached where dialogue can begin.
- At this point, the idea is no longer the individual expression of the initiator; it is now idea-in-progress (see NotionToDone)
- The community may consider how it may strengthen, develop and perhaps extend the meaning expressed in the idea as it now exists.
- The Community may pursue dialogue concerning the idea, using general guidelines that are proven helpful.
- The dialogue moves the idea in its progress forward, joining many sources, opinions, considerations and developments, making it better.
Evaluate the document:
- Original sense
- Replies or comments made to that point on developing the idea,
- Intent of the writers in the contributing, extracting, strengthening, and clarifying the evolving CommunityIdea?.
A member of the community has spoken. It may be by expressing a question, by offering a modification, or the concern that the idea is weak or inaccurate. Another member might make suggestions, amplifications or modifications which will improve the idea.
It is not too early to discover how the reply or comment contributes to needed changes and to make those changes. This is when changes should be made to quickly shape and form it.
If the reply or comment a member has made modifies the idea: By expressing another view of the idea or brings to light (exposes) something your idea either lacks or fails to produce those facts should be reflected in the idea refactoring. This will express the community's discussion and will encourage further expression.
When there is a quick reaction to amplify, correct and adjust, or restate the idea, it's more likely that a creative framework will develop where the dialog will continue and the idea will develop.
Most ideas, when first expressed, are often no more than a shell or skeleton, certainly not full or complete. Ideas should develop and change. The mere statement of an idea is much like beginning a journey. The journey of an idea is a process, one which will lead to final acceptance or possible rejection.
The idea may have many unexplored facets.
- As different members join in contributing to the idea, the idea becomes more complete and universal.
- Rather than being the idea of one individual, it has becomes a more complete idea expressing meaning contributed by each member involved.
- Hopefully, others not involved in its formation will read, try and find in practice it works. They are owners as well, not as originators, but as practitioners. The idea may be more far-reaching than originally intended in that others may apply it to other disciplines with or without modification. These are the best ideas, which have at their center substance which touches the essence of things, or discovers a universal niche.
- The idea may, in the process of CommunityDialogue?, encounter negative replies and comments. The initial idea may be ill-conceived or unsupportable. Some ideas may sound good, receive initial support, but not work in practice. This is what some call a BadIdea. In Wiki CommunityDialogue?, the bad idea loses and either goes out of existence or produces undesired results.
Simple, courteous and thoughtful means for presenting and discussing ideas/patterns/topics:
Measure of Validation - Success
"Success is more important than novelty. The longer a pattern has been used successfully, the more valuable it tends to be. In fact, novelty can be a liability, because new techniques are often untested. Finding a pattern is a matter of discovery and experience, not invention. A new technique can be documented as a pattern, but its value is known only after it has been tried. This is why most patterns describe several uses."
Utilize a CollaborationMethod? to attain goals
in the accomplishment of mutual objectives as well as personal objectives.
Integration of contributions and DramaticIdentity -- to enhance the potential
By comparing and molding - Development is driven by a dialog between differing designs; other participants in the dialogue take on the DramaticIdentity
(s) of these designs and try to find a way to mate them into a consistent whole. That moulding changes the components - interferes with them - in a constructive way.
Development of structures and procedures intended to enhance and encourage the completion of the idea toward validity.
Discuss and Relate the idea - See it in relationship to other ideas, confirm and create linkages to a bigger, more comprehensive whole.
Applies the ability to think critically and judgementally concerning the idea's development.
Critical Thinking Defined - See http://www.calpress.com/critical.htm
Modified slightly from The Expert Consensus Statement on Critical Thinking and the Critical Thinker:
- CriticalThinking is purposeful, self-regulatory judgement which results in interpretation, analysis, evaluation, and inference, as well as explanation of the evidential, conceptual, methodological, criteriological, or contextual considerations upon which that judgement is based.
- CriticalThinking is essentially a tool of inquiry. CriticalThinking is a liberating technique. While not synonymous with good thinking, CriticalThinking is a pervasive and self-rectifying human phenomenon.
- When members involved in CommunityDialogue? have the Characteristics of the IdealCriticalThinker, an increased probability for full development of the CommunityIdea? is to be expected.
Right, Wrong, Nobody cares
Often, on Wiki, you will find yourself thinking one of two things - either "Everything is wrong" or "Nobody cares." People generally don't comment if they agree with what you've written because there's nothing else to add. So sometimes beautiful pages aren't touched by anyone else. Other times, people will only detract from what you've written. Therefore, some people have responded by adding a lot of couched text to smooth the rebuttal over. The idea is that authors' feelings are more important than readers' time and interest.
But, this is bad writing. It's much better to write clear, concise text. Egos and Wiki don't mix very well anyway, as anyone can fix what you wrote to make it better. Encourage this. Take it as a compliment that you've written something either so valuable no-one wants to damage it with their words, or so interesting that they feel like commenting.
However, currently people like flaming each other here. This sucks. -- Anonymous
One way I use of responding when I have been helped by someone else's contribution is to use the ThankYou
page or something similar. I also collect links to things useful to me on my home page. -- JohnFletcher
is desirable and should be found being employed on this wiki every day. This page exists to express that ideas can be presented using wiki as a first-rate vehicle in accomplishing such dialogue. It has been and can be used in this manner.
The thoughts expressed on this page should not be taken as as a strict set of rules or criteria.
They should instead be considered as recommendations, approaches, and explorations. Dialogue is one of the ways a person can frame thoughts and meanings in interpersonal exchange. This wiki is at its best when CommunityDialogue?
results in fully developed, thoughtful and supportable ideas. This can happen if each participant keeps in mind that not only the content of expressions, but also the manner of expression can contribute to success. This is what should be kept in mind whether one is contributing as a initiator or whether one is a respondent, after all DialogueIsNotMonologue
project-team-dialogue 17min video-AlistairCockburn
CategoryDialogue CategoryCollaboration CategoryCriticism CategoryIdeaForm
- TEDxUo 2010