This is a legacy page. What you see below represents an earlier phase of my life, as indeed do all my contributions to the WikiWikiWeb
. I would like to extend my thanks and fond wishes to everyone on this site whom I had beneficial interactions with over the last decade. It was an invaluable experience and an education that money can't buy.
I drop by on rare occasions to locate chunks of ancient wisdom, and sometimes do a bit of WikiGnome
work while I'm about.
All the best, and thanks for visiting.
programmer based in LondonTown
. I arrived here as one of the VisitorsInZeroZero
. Mainly interested in SemanticWeb
Also on MeatBall
: see SisterSite
: edits from me when I will have a UserName
cookie set of EarleMartin
I enjoy playing NomicGame
I am a VolunteerHousekeeper
, and a WikiReductionist
. However, rather than force outright deletion, I started TheAdjunct
to take some of the pressure off. I'm fairly fond of WikiOnWiki
, although I'm hoping not to be struck by the CurseOfMeta
Some of my favorite pages here that I feel are key to the Wiki experience, arranged as a sort of rudimentary map:
- WabiSabi, LessIsMore, DoTheSimplestThingThatCouldPossiblyWork, SpikeSolutions
- ReFactoring - closely linked to MentalStateCalledFlow, HackingAtNight
- PerpetualNow/ThingsOnWikisMind, WikiWay/WhyWikiWorks (SoftSecurity)
- WebsitePatterns, UserInterfacePatterns, PatternLanguages in general
- QwanYin, ZenAndTheArtOfMotorcycleMaintenance, EasternThought
- SystemsAsLivingThings, GardeningMetaphor
Various pages that I just like:
- GalacticWiki, TestRunnerAsPrayerWheel, MetaSyntacticWossnames
Ideas from earlier iterations of WikiTime
that I feel could do with some new attention:
- ExampleStuffInMouth, YabbitsAndAntiYabbits
The most attractive page on WikiWikiWeb
Current gnoming tasks:
[Tools: http:shorts.cgi http:orphanWikiPages http:wantedWikiPages?n=6 http:longs.cgi]
Thoughts for this site:
- I think the first keyboard I ever used was my mother's SelectricTypewriter, when I was a little kid. I still love the physical feedback you get from one when typing - and you just have to love that golfball.
- I *heart* my PalmPilot. It's a lifesaver.
- There's something about code, and something about wiki, that gets into my HeadSpace?. I often dream about, or even in, PerlLanguage after a heavy session - I guess you could call them WeirdDeveloperDreams. Sometimes after a long bout of editing here I have dreams about ChoosingWikiNames and RefactoringWikiPages.
- What is it about TetrisGame that makes it so damn good?
I am a Perl "hacker", according to http://prometheus.frii.com/~gnat/yapc/2000-stages/slide36.html
I have to admit to my bookshelves being littered with things I started but couldn't finish somehow, like SiCp
. Quite a lot of the technical discussion here, I have to admit, evades me - I've only been programming for six years or so (in a language like Perl, I mean, come on
, that's like cheating), so I guess it's a case of more time needing to pass. But I've definitely been getting the feel of pages here more in recent months.
Awhile back I was having quite a few MyBrainIsFull
moments and not enough AhHa
moments. Too much coffee, too much HackingAtNight
. The solution was painfully simple: just take a break. Get some sunshine. Ride a bike! ProgrammersBurnout
seems to very much be a CantSeeTheForestForTheTrees
problem. I hope more people can realize this quicker than I did. It doesn't have to be HardWork
Damning with faint praise...
- It must be true, that you never sleep. -- GunnarZarncke
Hi, Earle. I've been learning PerlLanguage
, 1st ed., and some other online materials. Head on over to BubbleSortChallenge
. I've posted an amazing BubbleSort
there. It uses RegularExpressions
instead of arrays. Very Perlish, indeed. -- ElizabethWiethoff
Hi Liz - that is a curiosity indeed! I'll have a play with it tomorrow. Cheers -- Earle
I would rather have Earle as a steward than put up any more with the interminable prattle from others who think posturing about mythical rights and censorship should take precedence over making this a place where it is possible to have interesting discussions.
The whole point of having a steward is to allow them to prevent or otherwise deal with the stuff that caused a steward to be needed in the first place.
Earle may, from his writings here, seem to be fresh out of patience sometimes. Given what's happened and is happening, though, that seems not unreasonable.
Thanks -- Earle
Thank you for the recent entries on TheAdjunct
. -- JohnFletcher
Thanks for all Earle.Have you received my letter to your London adress ,given in the siteinfo online?
The letter refered to another letter to the glassbeadgame player A.J. İf not received ,İ can send you it to the correct adress interesting material with private copyleft -material.
Thanks again for all Earle.
I can't understand you and have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. -- Earle