The Queens English

A formal dialect of English spoken largely by upper-class English people. It is a common misconception of American people that all English people speak TheQueensEnglish. In fact, the majority of English people speak in a less formal manner, and regard TheQueensEnglish as old-fashioned and somewhat amusing. TheQueensEnglish predates and is precursor to its transatlantic cousin, AmericanEnglish.

Called TheKingsEnglish? when a male monarch is on the throne. It is not, of course, defined by how the monarch speaks. By extension, it also covers the written language.


View edit of September 18, 2004 or FindPage with title or text search